Representative Ken Mendonça Legislative Newsletter May 2017
Tuesday, May 02, 2017 0:14
Legislative Newsletter May 2017
Here are some things I have been doing since my last newsletter.
- Attended Legislators’ Law Day and toured the state court system. Had a working lunch with RI Supreme Court Justices. Their message was clear that their Sheriffs and courts are under staffed.
- Participated in the annual Newport St. Patrick’s Day Parade. It was a bit brisk, but it was a great day!
- Was Speaker for the day at the rostrum facilitating a mock session for a group of future lawmakers from the Portsmouth Middle School. They debated real issues and I was impressed with their arguments.
- Assisted several constituents to obtain their 2015 RI tax return.
- Attended the installation ceremony of Frank Sánchez, Rhode Island College’s 10th president.
- Attended, with fellow representatives and senators, the RI chapter of the Military Officers Association of America to discuss current and future legislation related to veterans.
- Participated on a panel discussion on the RI legislation process with visiting officers from the Naval Command College.
- Met with representatives from Smart Approach to Marijuana as they presented hard fact data on the Lessons Learned After 4 Years of Marijuana Legalization.
- Attended a presentation at the Middletown Senior Center to review RI Housing grants options for low-income seniors.
- Participated in a Veteran Affairs Informational session that was hosted by the RI Director of Veteran Affairs, Kasim Yarn.
- Assisted several constituents whose medical coverage or food assistance benefits were adversely impacted due to UHIP.
- Attended every Finance, Finance subcommittee and Veteran Affairs Committee meeting.
- It is my pleasure to serve as your representative. I will keep you updated on my work on your behalf.
If you would like to discuss these or any other issues, my email address is email@example.com and my phone number is (401) 682-1967. I will make every attempt to return your messages as soon as possible.
House of Representatives
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
District 72 – Portsmouth and Middletown
Member House Committee on Finance
Member House Finance Subcommittee on General Government
Member House Finance Subcommittee on Environment/Transportation
Member House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs
State House – Room 106
Providence, RI 02903